By Harry Ford
The League of Illinois Bicyclists (LIB) is the statewide advocate for all Illinois bicyclists, promoting bicycle access, education, and safety. Our vision: “Illinois – Land of Safe and Enjoyable Bicycling for all.”
VISION STATEMENT — Illinois – Land of Safe and Enjoyable Bicycling for all.
MISSION STATEMENT — The League of Illinois Bicyclists is the statewide advocate for all Illinois bicyclists and bicycling; promoting bicycle use, access, education, and safety.
- Maintain and increase access to public facilities for bicycles which will encourage their use for
transportation, health and recreation.
- Educate bicyclists and motorists about their mutual rights and responsibilities.
- Educate bicyclists on safe cycling skills.
- Develop an active communications network at all levels of government throughout the state; to give voice to the needs of bicyclists.
- Increase the organization’s impact and effectiveness through strategic collaborations.
The vision, mission and objective statements are, like most, a bit broad and abstract, but consider the following excerpts from LIB’s short- and long-term goals list to begin to see how they manifest in specific programs:
- Ensure that all Illinois bicyclists and motorists are exposed to bicycle safety principles and “Share the Road” training, especially grade school and Driver’s Education students
- Increase the amount of municipal bicycle planning assistance [to community planners].
- Work for adoption of Complete Streets (routine accommodation of bicyclists and pedestrians) road design and development policies by local government agencies.
- Work with IDOT to implement recommendations of the state bike plan.
- Start a Capital Improvement Program campaign to review and provide bike-friendly suggestions to towns on their upcoming road project list.
- Conduct a “mayors’ bike challenge” to enlist local officials to take the bikesafetyquiz.com quizzes and then encourage their constituents to do so.
In short, here is how LIB works for you . . .
LIB works with local, state, and federal officials on behalf of bicyclists.
- Advocate bike-friendly road designs and policies
- Promote trail development and funding at the local, state, and federal levels
- Educate officials on why and how their towns can be bicycle-friendly
- Develop bicycle safety education programs for cyclists and motorists
- Serve on transportation policy-making committees
- Propose legislation and other programs protecting cyclists’ rights on the roads
LIB works with individual bicyclists to guide their local efforts.
- Make it easy for you to have an impact by distilling issues down to simple action alerts
- For those wanting to get more involved locally, serve as technical, strategic, and organizing resource
- Distribute information and answer questions on bike safety, bike laws, rides and clubs, and much more
Want to get involved in making Illinois – and Jacksonville – a “safe and enjoyable” bicycling place? Go to http://www.bikelib.org.